header info

To see what jewelry creations are currently available Click here!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Friend Passes...

I got an email today from the sister of one of my favorite customers. My friend had passed away. I knew her health was fragile, so it wasn't a shock, but that doesn't seem to make it any less sad for those of us who will miss her.

This morning, as I was walking to work, I was thinking about how I'd love to be the kind of person who inspires others. My friend was that kind of person.

Aside from being generous, down-to-earth, positive, and one of the nicest people I've ever met, she inspired me.

As I look through the pieces of jewelry she purchased from us over the years, I feel I can remember each time we had a conversation, each time we talked about our families or something we were working on (she also made jewelry).

By the way, one of the first purchases this friend made from us was a piece by Monica (who was 11 at the time). It was Mon's first online sale. Looking back at that bracelet… wow… such vivid memories. I remember when Monica was stringing the bracelet and was rushing from the living room to the computer room to show me her design… and how she somehow let go of the wrong end and all the beads fell to the floor. We managed to find them all and she put it back together. And she was SOOO excited when the bracelet sold on eBay. Then the customer asked if we could make a pair of earrings to match the bracelet, and so Monica then had her first commissioned piece. Talk about nerves. Ha! I think she went through about three different variations before deciding on a design. She made the earrings and sent them and was paid too handsomely for them. But this encouragement inspired Monica to continue making jewelry.

This wonderful person also bought jewelry that featured many of my very first (and very pathetic) lampwork beads. Instead of feeling like a kindergartener among creative geniuses, I was made to feel like a worthy artist.

I owe a lot of my creative inspiration to this fantastic woman. I am a better person for having known her.

CS… thank you!

"The record of a generous life runs like a vine around the memory of our dead, and every sweet unselfish act is now a perfumed flower." — Robert G. Ingersoll

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about CS the other day...such sad news. She'll be missed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be surprised to know that this comment is coming from Jordan. I got the link through CS's daughter.
    She was an amazing person that touched and affected the life of anyone she knew. She defenitely touched my life. I met her 18 years ago and she was always the loving, caring and beautiful person she is even after I moved and we lived in two different halves of the world.
    I named one of my designs after her as a small tribute to this great person.
    http://qerat.blogspot.com/2008/12/connie-chaise-longue.html

    ReplyDelete