header info

To see what jewelry creations are currently available Click here!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Some of my designs from the SRAJD weekly challenges


Today....

After I returned from errands, I worked on two bronze pieces. One is in the kiln right now. Yay!

The other one is a little more involved. Maybe I can finish it tomorrow. It's my first slab bangle.




I think I'm pretty far behind on showing you what I've been making for the weekly challenges.

Let's see if I can get you caught up in today's blog.

The last one's I showed you were from July... the iconic painters challenges.

August was different "concepts" with the first week being Kintsugi which is the Japanese art of fixing broken pottery with lacquer resin dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum. As a philosophy it speaks to breakage and repair becoming part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise. 



In keeping with the essence of the concept, I took a broken pendant from my stash and altered it.


The next weekly challenge was "recycling".  I made a colorful charm bracelet by enameling on pennies (I see no other use for pennies).  The bracelet chain is one I found on the ground while I was out walking.


I made three entries for the theme of recycling.  The second one was affirmation bracelets made from old watches.  


Then I made a bunch of super vibrant earrings from vintage Bingo chips.  I actually have these listed (which is amazing considering I haven't listed anything in about three month... except maybe these).


For the final "concepts" challenge theme of "communication" I was thinking about some of the first forms of communication and made a pair of double-sided sgraffito enamel earrings representing petroglyphs or cave drawing images.


September's theme was "fairy tales" with a specific fairy tale for each week.  For "Sleeping Beauty" I made an etched oval depicting a stylized drawing I made of sleeping beauty and the vines encircling her castle.


Next up was "Little Red Riding Hood".  I made a darkened steel necklace that is supposed to evoke the menacing nature of the woods Red walked through when she first met the wolf.  Red, herself, is represented by an inset resin circle.

Then we had "Rumpelstiltskin".  I weaved a combination of rose gold colored wire along with traditional yellow gold into this abstract piece.  The three circles represent the three nights of spinning straw into gold.

After that came "Beauty and the Beast".  I merely combined a scruffy piece of black leather and a highly polished golden bronze circle I fabricated.

We're still in the middle of the October challenges, so I'll show you those once the month is finished.

Thanks for letting me share!


No comments:

Post a Comment