header info

To see what jewelry creations are currently available Click here!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Organizing Journey Day 6



Day 6 – Maintaining the Status Quo        

It’s important to not backslide.  If you clean your kitchen, don’t let dishes build up again.  It sucks to do dishes when there are so many other things you’d rather be doing, but letting them go even ONE day can start an avalanche of mess.

So I’m heading to the kitchen to brew some tea and do the dishes from last night’s dinner party.  I’ll put my kindle on to keep myself entertained for the duration (which is usually shorter than I anticipate).

Same thing in the living room… picking up a few things, moving things back to their original place, wiping off the coffee table… five minutes of work saves a build-up of clutter.

THIS is working to eliminate one of my bad habits, which is allowing things to build up.  I’ll get the mail and leave it on the table, convincing myself I’ll deal with it later.  I’ll do laundry and leave the clothes in a pile on my couch, convincing myself I’ll put them away properly soon.  I’ll make soup and convince myself it’ll be okay to leave the dirty pot because I’ll be doing the dishes later and it’s easier to do a bunch at once.

These are all excuses and lame excuses at that.  If I’d just DEAL with things in the moment, I wouldn’t have to spend an hour ever couple of days cleaning up clutter.

So other than picking up after myself today, I just worked on a custom order.  No organizing and no heavy duty cleaning took place.

That’s okay.  Sometimes I forget that most people take weekends off from work.  I don’t.  I work every day (I’m even teaching on my upcoming birthday).  But I also take time for me in a lot of ways.  I also go to bed ridiculously early at times.  I’m sure it all balances out.

So today’s Saturday.  In “normal land” that’s a weekend… a non work day.  I can cut myself some slack for only doing metalsmith work instead of doing metalsmith work AND organizing/cleaning.  How weird that we have these mental social dictates having to do with the days of the week.  Phft!  Half the time I don’t even know what day it is.


Okay, it’s 9pm… past my bedtime.  Ha ha ha!  See you tomorrow.

To see the beginning of this journey, click here.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah. That's where most people fail. It's easy to clean and organize then so easy to let it go back to disarray. Kind of like it's easy to lose weight and hard to maintain that loss. Go you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is new to me, picking up as I go along. We'll see how it plays out. :-)

      Delete
  2. Loved the write-up of your week of clearing, which mirrors so much of my life. I'm retired and have loads of time, but it vanishes so quickly. Every time I try to target a specific area, something else gets in the way! I have bursts of really creative time, and then real life takes over! It is so easy to get swamped by things that keep you away from what you want to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally totally totally totally! And it's nice to hear many of us deal with the same issues. That way we can all share tips and learn from one another... and if not, at least we can all vent and we know how the others feel. :-)

      Delete