header info

To see what jewelry creations are currently available Click here!

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Know When to Quit

Was working on spinners rings again today.  Got a late start so at 7:30pm was still in the workroom going at it.

I was working on a particularly complex ring (for me... don't laugh when you see it) and was 95% done.

It would have been nice to finish it, but as I tried to do the last step, I dropped it twice (took me ten minutes to find all the parts each time... they're round... they roll), melted one of the components once, and tried unsuccessfully to solder three times.

I know me.  I wanted to stop before that stage.  Next time I will.  Always follow your intuition and know when to stop.

Luckily, there was not permanent damage to the ring (I don't think) and I'll have a fresh start tomorrow morning, when I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed.

So yeah, know when to quit.  It's okay to leave things unfinished.

And sometimes, it's not even the end of the day.  I've had times where I was trying a technique (enameling, soldering, etc) and things just do NOT fall into place.  What I'm trying to do fails over and over.

It's not a matter of "don't be a quitter"... sometimes you just need to step away for even a day or two and come back fresh.  Almost always I can accomplish what I want easily the next time I try.

So I give you permission to quit.




2 comments:

  1. Tools down, step away from the mat. . I do have to say it out loud so I get the message sometimes. You are not alone. Sometimes you just need to take a pee break and then go back for it to work. Not sure why though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Pee break. :-) Sometimes I need a full 24 hours before I can get back in and leave the bad ju-ju behind.

      Delete