Thursday, January 8, 2009

Poor Sad Oakland

I'm tired of hearing helicopters. I have NO problem with the peaceful protesters. I do have a problem with the small groups of add-ins who feel the need to vandalize and otherwise become violent. I think it puts a bad light on the original intent of the protesters and takes away from their cause. The current situation in Oakland is bad for everyone involved. It's tragic and sad and frustrating.

BART headquarters (where this morning's meeting is) is the building next to mine so the helicopters are a constant overhead and the police cars are in force on the ground.

Ah, they just sent out a notice evacuating our building.


SRAJD Forum


I updated the threads. It's a bit more organized now. I figured it was the least I could do now that there are over 300 members.


Solitude

I'll be alone at the apartment again. Haven't been alone since the Christmas weekend, but had just moved in at that time so wasn't set up to y'know… relax and just do stuff I wanted… like make jewelry.

The kids go to their dad's tonight and will be there until Monday. I'll see them Saturday and Sunday at their hockey games, but otherwise will be at home creating or going between the house and the apartment… and storage.

I do have to start getting my books over to half-price books and other stores.

A huge lot of legos will be going Sunday evening. Yay!

This week, Mon and I did work on some jewelry for Laura M, but I want to get s'more going before I ship the package out.


Nancy!

Yay… so glad you don't mind me saying I want to stay in touch with you. I've always found you to be such a gentle and compassionate soul. One of my favorite types of people to stay in contact with.

Now, how come I can't find your blog? There's so much about blogspot that I still need to figure out.


Today's Humor (compliments of YouTube and the other LB)

This, you HAVE to see but I couldn't get it embedded, so click on the link then click on the black triangle to play the video…

http://www.youtube.com/v/wMppUgSQNPU&hl=en&fs=1


Secrets of a Happy Marriage

A man and woman had been married for more than 60 years. They had shared everything. They had talked about everything. They had kept no secrets from each other except that the little old woman had a shoe box in the top of her closet that she had cautioned her husband never to open or ask her about.

For all of these years, he had never thought about the box, but one day the little old woman got very sick and the doctor said she would not recover. In trying to sort out their affairs, the little old man took down the shoe box and took it to his wife's bedside.

She agreed that it was time that he should know what was in the box. When he opened it, he found two crocheted dolls and a stack of money totaling $95,000. He asked her about the contents.

'When we were to be married,' she said, 'my grandmother told me the secret of a happy marriage was to never argue. She told me that if I ever got angry with you, I should just keep quiet and crochet a doll.'

The little old man was so moved; he had to fight back tears. Only two precious dolls were in the box. She had only been angry with him two times in all those years of living and loving. He almost burst with happiness.

'Honey,' he said, 'that explains the doll, but what about all of this money? Where did it come from?'

'Oh,' she said, 'that's the money I made from selling the dolls.'



People I Want To Send a Note to and Stay In Contact With

I'm going to keep this list on here so I can both add to it when I think of someone else and so I can remember who I've contacted already.

BTW, this doesn't count people I see on a regular basis (obviously)
Amber VM (don't remember where she is)
Cathleen (in the eastern US somewhere)
Chris (also don't remember where she is, but she's "crafty")
Connie (in Texas?)
Corinne in southern California
Erin
Faisal and family (local)
Joan in Penryn
Katherine (in Connecticut)
Lara in Oregon
Laura in Texas
Margo up north
Nancy in Vermont
Natalie in SF
Patricia in Colorado
Person who made sent me that fab blue bracelet
Person who runs strokewear


Sign Off
Okay, gotta go now… TTYL!

3 comments:

  1. I'm a newbie to the world of setting up a blog so it is a work in its very initial stages http://mumzysattic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see I made your list. :)

    Anyway, I'm guessing I'm the Chris that's "crafty" in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,
    Thank you so much for putting a pic of my earrings on your "Thank You" page! What a nice surprise.

    Thanks also for the info on Project Linus. I'm going to join my local chapter right away. Great cause.

    Oh, and your new jewelry is gorgeous. Good work girlfriend!!!
    Judith
    www.rubylane.com/shops/hollycottagedesigns

    ReplyDelete