Monday, January 5, 2009

I think I'm a dork

I have this file that I use to keep track of the bills I pay, and since I pay a lot of bills online I also have my acct numbers and passwords on this file. But I didn't want it to be obvious to anyone who might stumble across the file (yeah, 'cause so many people stumble across my personal files on my computer… sign). Anyway, I had the brilliant idea to disguise the passwords by changing them into a symbol-type font… which I did… and now I don't seem to be able to get them back to anything readable. ARGH!


Saving Money

I gave notice on my office parking space. That means I'm committing to walking a lot in the future. Ha ha ha! I gave Bear a good walk this morning, 34 blocks (but I guess "blocks" is a relative term… it was probably just shy of a mile… took us about 35 minutes with all the stops (lights, marking, poop).

Anyway, if I walk from home to the office, it's one and a third miles. If I walk from the kids' school to the office, it's almost two miles. I think I'll opt for the fist choice. And if I can convince the kids to take the bus to school, that would save me from having to drive them then come back home… but one thing at a time.


Hockey

Sigh… as any mother would, I hate seeing my children in pain… and unfortunately Gabe had some mental anguish this past weekend… having "the worst game" of his life and thus feeling like he's ruined the entire season for his team. There's no reasoning with him. I can't tell him it's a TEAM… you win and lose as a TEAM. I can't tell him ONE GAME isn't an entire season… it could be the game that changes the outcome of the season, but a season is the cumulative effort of many games.

Shrug… just a life thing he'll deal with… I just hate to see him hurting.


Somniloquy

Aka "Sleep Talking". I do it and both my kids do it. The other night, Monica sat straight up in bed and held her blanket out in front of her with both hands, proclaiming, "There's a hole in it." I asked, "There's a hole in what?" And her reply confirmed that she wasn't talking about her blanket in the slightest. I don't recall now what it was she said, but I knew she was dreaming.

Then this morning… man, I had a hard time walking Gabe up. And there he was with his eyes open telling me he can't go until the body goes across. WHAT?! I told him to wake up, but he insisted he WAS awake. So again, he's talking about "Demar" and saying he has to wait for the body to go across.


Life Isn't Always Fair

Yeah, those who know me well, know I believe in that. I particularly embrace the sentiment when someone whines about something not being fair and I'm tired of hearing them whine.

Well, today I get my share of the sentiment… USAA informed me that they doubt I'll recover the $6000 deductible I paid out when the neighbor's house flooded mine because I'd have to "prove the neighbor was negligent". What?!?! Yep… unless the neighbor (except there IS no neighbor… it's a foreclosure house so the bank owns it… and why aren't they legally responsible for having insurance on the house?)… so unless the owner of the house was "negligent", I can't say, "Hey, YOUR house flooded MY house… now pay me for the damages."

Hmph!


People I Want To Send a Note to and Stay In Contact With

I'm going to keep this list on here so I can both add to it when I think of someone else and so I can remember who I've contacted already.

BTW, this doesn't count people I see on a regular basis (obviously)
Margo up north
Laura in Texas
Connie (in Texas?)
Corinne in southern California
Cathleen (in the eastern US somewhere)
Katherine (in Connecticut?)
Natalie in SF
Lara in Oregon
Joan in Penryn
Nancy in Vermont
Amber VM (don't remember where she is)
Chris (also don't remember where she is, but she's "crafty")
Erin
Person who made sent me that fab blue bracelet
Person who runs strokewear


Sign Off
Okay, gotta go now… TTYL!

1 comment:

  1. Let's hear it for dorks. Bless us all.

    Good notion to keep contacts online rather than in a file that will go down with the ship if your PC implodes. I have a gmail account and I email myself notes, links, even jpg.s .

    I am in Hartford, CT which is not all that exciting to remember. More importantly I am pleased to be on your list. TMB meant a lot to me and I hope the crew over on SRAJD board keeps perkin along.

    Sorry about the nonexistant reimbursement for deposit/damages etc. from floods. I am not suprised. Insurance companies GRRRR

    ReplyDelete